2007-10-21

...Or Is Barack Embracing the Wrong Changes?

HuffPo just made me seriously regret the money my partner and I have been sending to Barack Obama. In an AMERICAblog post, John Aravosis announces that Barack's Embrace the Change concert series in South Carolina will prominently feature gospel singer and Bush supporter (which may be redundant) Donnie McClurkin. Senator Obama is apparently embracing more changes than his constituency had been led to expect.

Wikipedia quotes Mr. McClurkin's autobiography this way:
"The abnormal use of my sexuality continued until I came to realize that I was broken and that homosexuality was not God's intention... for my masculinity." It then adds, "He then describes himself as going through a process by which he became 'a saved and sanctified man'."

Aravosis cites a WaPo piece:
"Gospel singer Donnie McClurkin, who has detailed his struggle with gay tendencies and vowed to battle 'the curse of homosexuality,' said yesterday he'll perform as scheduled at the [2004] Republican National Convention on Thursday, despite controversy over his view that sexuality can be changed by religious intervention. 'I can't let off. I didn't call myself -- God called me to do what I do,' McClurkin told The Post's Hamil R. Harris. The Grammy winner declared, 'If this is a war, we are willing to fight. Not a war of violence, but a war of purpose.'"

Amen to that, sister!

Let's get one last citation in. This is from Keith Boykin's excellent 2005 essay profiling McClurkin:

"'Love is pulling you one way and lust is pulling you another and your relationship with Jesus is tearing you,' McClurkin told the media. He says that God delivered him from homosexuality, and since that time, he has been counseling adolescent boys that homosexuality is merely a lifestyle choice that can be overcome." (Emphasis mine).

We've just sent Senator Obama an email informing him that we won't be contributing in future to his campaign. At this point we've just about had it... and Hillary can have the nomination and we'll just skip the presidential line on our ballots for the first time since 1968.

No comments:

...Or Is This Cost Way Too Freakin' High???

Cost of War - MilitaryWidgets
Get this Widget